Just seven short months ago, the membership of AzLA honored me with the position of President-Elect for the organization! So far, this year has been a whirlwind of learning about the organization’s budget, processes, and needs. Thanks to Dan Stanton and a great list of individuals who have held this position in the past, I have wonderful examples to look to in planning for the next year of AzLA as the November conference is just around the corner.
As part of the conference this year, there will be a session titled “President-Elect AzLA Planning Forum.” This will be a chance for any of the members of the organization to help determine the direction of AzLA in the coming year. Prior to the conference I would ask that each member take some time to think about these questions:
- What are the biggest challenges facing your organization today? How can AzLA help?
- What initiatives should AzLA focus on in the coming year?
- Have you encouraged a colleague to join AzLA? Why or why not?
- What topics would you like to see covered at Regional Forums?
- The mission of the Arizona Library Association shall be to promote library service and librarianship in libraries of all types in the state of Arizona. Is AzLA doing that?
This planning session will be a great time for us to get to know each other and to talk about what is exciting and challenging in the library profession and how we can address those challenges together here in Arizona. Between now and November, if you have ideas you would like to share regarding the topics above please contact me. I am also willing to travel to your library to meet with your staff to learn more about the libraries throughout our state.
In February, I attended the Future of Libraries: Do We Have Five Years to Live? symposium at USC. This was an exciting couple of days focused on the changes libraries are making to provide information and access in this swiftly changing environment. I will also attend the ALA conference in San Francisco in June to take advantage of the Chapter Leader’s Forum as well as the Chapter Relations meetings in prepartaion for the coming year in AzLA.
Looking forward to hearing from you!