The following letter was sent to Arizona Library Association Leadership team by Erin MacFarlane, Legislative Committee Chair of AzLA.
As many of you already know, the American Library Association has been working for many months to advocate for library infrastructure funding. We have an opportunity to get libraries included in the budget resolution, and are on a tight timeline. I’ve made calls and had meetings with staff from both Senator Kelly’s and Senator Sinema’s offices. We would love to have some additional voices advocating for funding that you could use to meet infrastructure needs in your communities. Please consider reaching out to Senate offices this week. You will find information and additional talking points below. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks,
Sen. Sinema: (202) 224-4521
Sen. Kelly: (202) 224-2235
- [Call the Senator at the numbers above. (If you usually work a particular staffer for the Senator, you might prefer to email or call them instead.)]
- [Give your name, title, and library/organization.]
- We’re asking for the Senator’s support to include $5 billion for library construction and renovation in the 2022 budget resolution.
- That’s the same level of funding proposed in the Build America’s Libraries Act (the bill number is S. 127).
- The Build America’s Libraries Act would provide $99 million to repair and modernize public library buildings across Arizona.
- [Mention one or two specific examples of needed upgrades in your library buildings and how they impact users/the community.]
- We urge the Senator’s support to include $5 billion for library construction and renovation in the 2022 budget resolution and reconciliation instructions.
- And we ask the Senator to join as a cosponsor of S. 127. Thank you!
- [Then please call your other Senator as well. Please send any updates to Gavin Baker at ALA (firstname.lastname@example.org).]
Legislative Committee Chair
Arizona Library Association