Arizona Library Association’s first virtual conference, “Behind the Counter”, took place on Thursday, April 5, 2018, and was focused on professional development for front-line and paraprofessional library staff. The virtual conference, which was sponsored by the AzLA Professional Development Committee and Overdrive, in partnership with the State Library, was a huge success with 261 people attending.
Conference sessions were offered throughout the day, and attendees could access the virtual conference from their own computers, interact through the chat feature, and access session materials.
Recordings of the virtual conference sessions can be seen on YouTube at https://bit.ly/2qIFnM1.
- Getting Stated with Overdrive / Courtney Sveda
- Starting a Wi-Fi Hotspot Lending Program at Your Library / Nicole Umayam
- Special Needs and Beyond: A Journey to Storytime / Christopher Coolman
- Great Expectations in Customer Service / Paula Wilson
- Hosting Authors: How to Build Relationships with Authors (And Get Your Name in the Acknowledgments) / Lauren Regenhardt
- Basic Conflict Management / Dale Savage & Rene Tanner
- Everything You Were Afraid to Ask about E-Content in Your Library / Michael Porter
- Empowering Arizona Library Staff: Library Development Services for You / Janet “Jaime” Ball, Mary Villegas, Dale Savage, & Donna Throckmorton
- Mostly Harmless: Working with Teens in the Library / Patricia Jimenez
Plans are in the works to offer another virtual conference in the future.
AzLA Professional Development Committee
Librarian/Reader Advisor, Arizona Talking Book Library